One hamstring much tighter than the other

One hamstring much tighter than the other2008-03-06T18:14:29+00:00
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Forum Owner

Hot Yoga Doc,

I found your site while searching “tight hamstring”. I have been attending Bikram classes since Dec. 20, 2007. I go regularly. My right side is very loose and I can perform all of the leg stretch poses with no problem. My left side however, is giving me trouble. I tried to push it to do what the right can. I pushed too hard and caused soreness in my hamstring. Now I’m carefull to bend the knees. I can’t wait to try the standing seperate leg strech as you illustrated with photos of your friend. I have torn my hamstring as a young girl at a track meet, so I’m sure this is the cause of the tightness. How long will it take to loosen? What can I do before and after class to help avoid further injury?

Luanne

Hello Luanne

Thanks for your email. The above message talks about an article I wrote recently. Here is the link: Opening Up Your Hamstrings With Hot Yoga

One of the simplest ways to open the hamstrings is with reciprocal inhibition – the normal way opposing muscles work. When you fully lock the knee by pulling up the knee cap with the help of the quadriceps muscles then the hamstrings relax to their fullest extent. The above article explains though why there is a better way in Hands to Feet pose and Standing Sep Leg Stretching. The clasp knife reflex is used there to better work the opening of the back of the body then straightening the leg.

So Luanne and all those out there who have rounded backs in Sep Leg Stretching, bend the legs and pull, lift the hips while ironing out your back. For more info about this amazing reflex David Coulter’s book “Anatomy of Hatha Yoga” has a great explanation. Borrow it from your library if you seek that kind of detail.

What you probably need is PRECISE technique when you practice your poses and patience. The heat obviously is your best friend here too. 😉 If you have an asymmetry then your tighter side will probably determine your depth in many cases.

Another technique which I won’t explain right here but is also within the pages of the above book is a specific technique of combining an active stretch with a massage of your golgi tendon organs.

Finally, yin yoga practiced after class when you are very warm will coax those leg muscles into safe stretches. Get a book, ask your teacher or go online for some free resources.

Looking forward to hearing of your progress.

Kind regards
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top