Tiredness

Tiredness2009-10-07T19:29:10+00:00
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am very new to all this, but over the last week reading all the past forum discussions has been fantastic, thank you!!
    I started my first Bikram 12 days ago, I have been to 9 classes and love it.
    I struggled at the beginning with the water/drink issue, but after reading the forum, I started to drink more spread out in the day. I also came out of class exhausted then started drink some coconut water about half hour before and straight after the difference was amazing!
    Anyway I do find that I am getting very tired the latter part of the day, I realize it is from the yoga that I am not used to, and the amount of energy I use doing it… but does anyone have any memory how long it last before things start to improve?
    BTW … I tried the ‘elbows in the pocket’ shoulder movements in class… works brilliantly!! Thank you!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Suzy

Thank you for you lovely post. I am so happy you are enjoying your practice and thrilled that you can get support here at the forum.

Getting into your own groove with this yoga can take time or not! 😉 It really is an individual thing. And also your abilities and your resilience can change from time to time with changes in your life.

I can recall friends and students of mine reporting that their first classes either wiped them out or they felt a certain buzz that energized them for hours or days. You will notice changes, the timetable of those changes will be unique to you.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Springtime
    Participant

As Gabrielle alludes, I have been doing 5 classes a week for 3 months and still find days when it exhausts me. Not sure if there is a common denominator about stress, or pre-menstrual or anything else consistent. It’s not most of the time but it still is from time to time.
    Spring

fraseram
    Participant

I think that can happen to anyone (even NOT in a practice!) We all have days where we just don’t feel like ourselves. I would not worry too much about it but I do have a tip for you……. try another dose of coconut milk in the afternoon before the drain sets in. Sometimes what can happen is after class we forget we still need to hydrate…. or we can OVER hydrate which can lead to low sodium levels. both have the same draining effect on our system. good luck

Suzy
    Participant

Thank you!

Gosh, today got completely whipped out in the afternoon, and slept for over an hour and a half, in a pretty deep sleep. I never sleep during the day unless I am unwell.
    How does one figure out the dehydrated/over hydrated amounts? Also does anyone know approximately how much Electrolyte’s should one take for a session of very sweaty yoga? I am wondering if the coconut water is enough, it made a big difference during and straight after. The problem with Coconut water is the cost.
    The man made Electrolytes often have all sorts of other vitamin’s too, I already take supplements of those and am cautious of taking too much?

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Suzy

Hydration is fairly simple to work out because you can use the color of your pee! This becomes a bit difficult if you are taking vitamins that make it bright yellow of course. Another way is the frequency of urination (or at least the volume). Your bladder will be able to distend more over time to stop going so often (as some people have that problem).

Knowing if you have enough electrolytes is trickier to work out. Eating well and including a good variety of healthy fresh fruit and vegetables etc can be sufficient. If you practice 8 times per week you would more likely need electrolyte supplementation than someone who practices 1-2 times.

You will probably recognize that you are not dehydrated from the list of signs of dehydration below. But know that over time if you are depleting your supplies of electrolytes you could have problems with firing of skeletal and cardiac muscles. You need Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium and Calcium etc… You can of course find these things in food. Bananas are a known source of Potassium for example.

Here are some of the signs of dehydration.

Mild dehydration – thirst, dry mouth, dry skin, dark urine (typically small volume), feeling weak or tired, appetite loss (etc)
    Severe dehydration – muscle cramps and tingling sensation in the extremities, increases in heart and breathing rate, decreases in sweating and urination, inability to produce tears, fever, headaches. BTW severe cases of dehydration need hospitalization because the situation can rapidly deteriorate and cause coma and death.

Packaged coconut water is expensive and is very delicious and satisfying. As you know there are plenty of other electrolyte formulations. I would avoid those bright drinks. What we use is Ultima Replenisher. We used to use Emergen C. The Ultima is naturally derived, costs a little more than the Emergen C but I believe the contents are more bio-available. Both of these (even together) would cost less than a coconut water which makes them much more affordable. And of course, there’s food! :cheese:

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

fraseram
    Participant

I do practice more on the frequent side and so do need the supplements. I myself take an electrolyte tab rather tan a drink because like yourself was concerned about all the ‘extras’. I do well with this and you can pick them up at any health store and they are VERY inexpensive. (which was also a bonus) again I would try another dose of whatever you decide in the afternoon and see if tat helps. let me know

bonmar
    Participant

What are they called, Amy?

fraseram
    Participant

they are called tablytes and I love them.
    PS It is nice to be back and nice to chat with you bonmar.

barky
    Participant

This is a timely question as my yoga partner and I, practice 6 days a week in a heated Bikram Studio at 5:15 in the morning. (the studio owner used to practice with us until her mother took ill) We practice to the Bikram CD. We have just recently moved our practice fifteen minutes earlier (it used to be 5:30) The reason we did this is so we could add 15 minutes more Savassana and still be out by 7:00. We have both commented on how much more sustainable energy we have throughout the day. I used to get that “tired” feeling late in the day or even sometimes around 11 AM. With the longer relaxation I have not had any fatigue but even more energy then normal!

It worth a try, supplements are great but possibly the best supplement is more relaxation time.

Have a great day today
    Mark

barky
    Participant

I wanted to add one more thing…This is Allergy Season! It may not be the yoga at all. Quite possibly
    a mild allergy which can cause drowsiness.
    M

Suzy
    Participant

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I am learning.. I have ordered some tablytes, will let you know if they make any difference.

I would absolutely love to have some more Savassana time, in my old Astanga practice we had a good 10 min, unfortunately it seems a lot of people are rushing in the Bikram studios, in London they all seem to have small changing rooms and people make a dash for them even before doing Savassana! The other issue is parking.. during the day many places you can have a maximum of 2 hours, so by the time I park up, get in and settled I am a bit pushed for time to get back in time.
    I am sure the tiredness is to do with the yoga as on my off days I do not experience it.

Suzy 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top