would hot yoga be good for a 10 year old chlid with diabetes type I ?

would hot yoga be good for a 10 year old chlid with diabetes type I ?2009-12-15T15:06:31+00:00
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Would it be ok for a 10 year old child that has diabetes type I to practice Hot Yoga ? And would there be any special conditions to take into consideration ?
    Thanks

fraseram
    Participant

sweat glands r not fully developed until later in teens

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi lycanthrop

Firstly I would make sure that if this child were to do the yoga that it is their choice. I am not suggesting that you are forcing this person but merely suggesting that forcing anyone is never a good idea – even if you think it could help their problem!

Second I would make sure that the temperature is kept to reasonable levels: Around body temperature only.

Allow them to gradually develop their abilities, their stamina and their focus without expectation. They will take 2 weeks to acclimatize to the heat and the series like any adult. Regarding their focus: They will rise to the challenge by behaving appropriately in the room if they practice where distractions are minimized. 2 young kids next to each other or even siblings may talk and comment through class. Place them where it will support them the best. Maybe they feel more encouraged being next to a particular person. Balance that against the focus they can develop in that situation.

Recognize that there is no hard and fast rule as to their capabilities. While a 7 year old may have excellent balance on one leg a 12 year old may not. It is changeable. It is at about that 11-13 year old bracket where kids all catch up and get the balance thing. So with that information you will see that all kids are more likely to have more ease with the floor poses rather than the standing ones.

I have had quite a number of children at my studio. Some stick with it, others don’t. Surprisingly some of the younger ones approached their practice with a tenacity and motivation that older ones did not.

Please let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

lycanthrop
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback.
    The child in question is of an acquaintance of mine who has had no luck in getting his daughter to lose weight, and he was hoping that Hot Yoga would help. Will pass on the info.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top