sweat and detoxing

sweat and detoxing2010-02-05T18:56:06+00:00
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

first of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum. I’m pretty new to posting…

but I was reading your topic about sweating not being detoxing, Gabrielle. I find it really interesting because I have heard that so many times, myself. so if sweating in Hot yoga is not really releasing toxins, then is it also a myth that twists (such as seated spinal twist) are also not really ‘detoxifying poses’? lastly, and I know this is way out there, but I just happened to recall an interview with the journalist who revealed that some of Japan’s top yakuza paid for liver transplants at UCLA. he said part of why the yakuza needed liver transplants is because they have full body tattoos, thus the sweat glands are non-functioning, which (in combination with lots of sake) results in frequent liver failure amongst yakuza. this would seem to be at odds with the idea that sweat does not equal detoxing. and why, for that matter, do I feel so good and refreshed after a sauna? sorry for going on so long on this topic!!

lichade
    Participant

“The tattoos are so dense that it’s very hard to sweat, which means when you can’t get rid of the toxins in your body, that’s also very hard on the liver,” Adelstein explained.

— CBS News, 60 Minutes

ps. I have done more research on this since, and it seems that physicians either say sweat is not detoxifying, or that it is inconclusive. whereas alt health people all swear adamantly that it is crucial to detoxing. sounds a bit like the arguments for/against homeopathy, acupuncture….and yoga, for that matter. 🙂

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Richard

I think FAQs is a fine place for your comments to be!

You asked about sweating as a means to detox. The implication was that if that was not true then twisting poses may not be cleansing.

I think the 2 mechanisms cannot be directly compared. When you exercise your body and engage your spine in a big twist there is definitely the potential for a large cleansing effect. The movements can be creating improved circulation, gaining access to areas that have been left dormant for who knows how long!

I will research this a bit (in time), but from memory tattoos don’t affect the sweat glands. The dye is taken up by macrophages which are scavengers and eat up junk around the body, stuff around the body (debris), pathogens. They are part of the immune system.

I wonder if Adelstein is talking about heavily tattooed subjects.

As for sweating and toxins, it does feel great to sweat, it does feel cleansing, as far as detoxing goes it seems that that is the job of the intestines, liver, kidneys and lungs. It’s hard to assess the singular effect of one system. They work in concert with the others. Would someone in acute kidney and liver failure benefit from a hot yoga class because they sweat out the toxins? Hmmmm…. I have a feeling there’s a lot more alchemy and magic to the workings of the body than distilling it down to one thing. But that’s just my opinion

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

fraseram
    Participant

I think too there is or may be a diff between ‘cleansing’ and a true ‘detox’ that is a good point Gabrielle about the circulation and other effects to your body. I know I also feel really good after a good cry like an emotional rain and though I may ‘feel’ better and like I’ve processed and cleaned house ……. the issue is still there to a degree.
    I find the same thing after a good class and sweat. It feels good but like you’ve just cleaned house and there ARE many good things going on……… but actually rid of toxins???????? maybe it helps bring blood flow and better function to those organs that do detox the body?

oosadchaya
    Participant

Guys, do you know why when I’m drinking 3-4 glass of water before class I’m sweating less then when I’m drinking only 1 glass.

Andrea.*F.
    Participant

Hi Olga,

I am a teacher from Gabrielle’s Teacher Training.

My understanding is that, sweating helps to keep the body’s core temperature at an optimal level. We sweat so the body can stay cool. Given that the body is at least 75% water, it needs to be well hydrated to function properly.

When you are dehydrated (or have only 1 glass of water before class) your system goes into an alarm state. Therefore your body has to work much harder to maintain all the basic functions. Your temperature can go up higher than it normally would (when hydrated) and in its efforts, your body is producing even more sweat to cool down.

When you drink 3-4 (or even more!) glasses of water before a hot yoga class, you make this process so much easier for your body. 🙂 Everything runs as it should, your body is ‘calmer’, your system is not in an alarm state, so less sweating is enough to keep your temperature down and everything else at an optimal level.

Just out of curiosity, how much water do you drink on days when you practise? How do you replenish your electrolytes?

I hope this answers your question 😉

Namaste,

Andrea

oosadchaya
    Participant

Hi Olga,

I am a teacher from Gabrielle’s Teacher Training.

My understanding is that, sweating helps to keep the body’s core temperature at an optimal level. We sweat so the body can stay cool. Given that the body is at least 75% water, it needs to be well hydrated to function properly.

When you are dehydrated (or have only 1 glass of water before class) your system goes into an alarm state. Therefore your body has to work much harder to maintain all the basic functions. Your temperature can go up higher than it normally would (when hydrated) and in its efforts, your body is producing even more sweat to cool down.

When you drink 3-4 (or even more!) glasses of water before a hot yoga class, you make this process so much easier for your body. 🙂 Everything runs as it should, your body is ‘calmer’, your system is not in an alarm state, so less sweating is enough to keep your temperature down and everything else at an optimal level.

Just out of curiosity, how much water do you drink on days when you practise? How do you replenish your electrolytes?

I hope this answers your question 😉

Namaste,

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

WOW!!! This is suck a good answer. Thanks a lot
    OK, the day I’m doing practice I usually drink about 3-4 glass during the day and less then 1 glass during the class and abut another 1 or 2 after.
    For electrolytes I’m drinking half of glass Emergen C before class or after but not every time only when I feel weak.

Thanks a lot again
    Olga

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Olga

Your body ALWAYS needs electrolytes. You should not be waiting for a sign of weakness to take electrolytes.

If you read about electrolytes on this forum, you’ll see that I recommend taking sea salt. Do that and you can save on buy Emergen C. And you can spread about 1/2 teaspoon a day on food in water (with lemon juice is great) or in whatever way you like to take it.

I will answer your other post at the other thread now.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top