115 degrees

115 degrees2010-04-14T22:27:32+00:00
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

at the studio i attend the thermostat reads 115 to 116 degrees. what gives? they boast 105 degrees. is it the humidity? i think ive finally acclimated after my third class, but still.

fraseram
    Participant

it could be too where the thermostat is placed???

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Yes Amy is right – the heat gradient varies enormously so unless it’s a professional calibration, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on the actual number – unless you believe it feels excessively high (which 116-116 certainly is IF the humidity is high).

The main thing to be tracking in a studio is “the heat index” which is essentially a combination of real temperature and humidity.

Check out Gabrielle’s long post and info about it here:

https://www.hotyogadoctor.com/index.php/site/forum/viewthread/37/

That should help!

Basically if you are in a well ventilated room and your humidity is under 30%, 115F can even feel cool!

By contrast, 98F when the humidity is over 85% will definitely feel hot.

So there are quite a few variables!

Hope that helps.

Of course if you feel the studio is over-heated – especially if you see a LOT of red faces during class; people taking a lot of breaks – I’d be raising that with the studio owner as it is simply unnecessary – and taken too far, can be dangerous.

Namaste

Robert

lee
    Participant

I’ve seen thermostats SET to 110 or more but the reality is cooler. How much heat gets lost, how well the air is mixed vertically and the humidity all make big differences.

Lee

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

Ah yes – thanks Lee for clarifying what the thermostat is SET to and what the real temperature may be.

Many studios resort to setting the thermostat to an apparent high temperature to compensate for a variety of issues – wrong equipment; incorrectly calibrated thermostats and/or thermometers; lack of humidity calibration … it’s a long list!

One thing to watch out for – if you notice a teacher is constantly having to “adjust” a heat setting … you can be sure the system is poorly installed or calibrated. By way of a guide, we only EVER touch ours twice a year to make a slight adjustment to the temperature/humidity differences between winter and summer.

Thanks Lee!

Robert

paularama
    Participant

it does seem like most people are able to withstand the heat, although i have seen a few people trying to get their bearings after class. the teacher did adjust the thermostat twice during class yesterday; it read 118 when i went in 10 minutes before class, and went down to 114 and that is when she set it to 116. we are in the pacific nw so it does rain alot, and that day it was quite clear. so that may be a factor.
    i’d like to ask them why its set so high but i don’t want to seem accusative or unhappy with their studio.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Paula

How are you coping these days with the heat etc now that the weather is warming up (for you!)?

BTW: Asking why the temp is set so high is not really accusative as much as it is inquisitive! Nothing wrong with that 😉

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top