3 weeks on 1 week off – good idea?

3 weeks on 1 week off – good idea?2009-07-15T11:48:30+00:00
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been thinking about the frequency of my practice. I attend to class 5 times per week at the moment. I’d like hear your opinions about intensive training for 3 weeks and then taking 1 week off?
    The reason I’m asking is that every time I go back to the studio if I’ve had a longer rest I feel that my body is ready for the next challenge and is responding better. Is anyone else pacing their practice this way? It could also help me mentally – to work really hard 3 weeks and then get a little “holiday” and maybe do something totally different. I’d like to hear your ideas,

Feenix 🙂

fraseram
    Participant

sounds like a good theory… the only concern I would have would be the body getting used to the heat over and over. It only takes about 3-5 days to loose that ability in our bodies and about 10 days- two weeks to be fully back in the swing. A lot happens to your body during that process that may put unneeded stress on it. If you want to follow this approach I would still hit the hot room once every couple of days (even if it’s for one set or just to rest in the heat)

Feenix
    Participant

Thank you, you’re making a very valid point, it didn’t even cross my mind. I’m from Scandinavia and we go to a sauna – a lot! The temperature is around 80 celsius so it’s pretty hot. I wonder if that should carry me over the rest week. Of course we don’t stay there for 90 minutes and there is no exercise involved 🙂 I never knew it would take that long for the body to adjust.

fraseram
    Participant

THe only thing you can do is to try it!! I know that when I have to take a week or so off and come back I feel it. We were in Vegas (where it was 98-114!) and even then I noticed. Not that it KICKS me but I can feel inside my body systems working harder and faster than they need to be. Also my blood sugars are up a few points due to my body being under the extra stress. Again…. It does NOT knock me out nor do I feel gross or sick. I was just thinking that could be unhealthy to do over and over. Food for thought anyway

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

All very good info here!

I wanted to add that heat deacclimatization can vary – our favorite author on this is Lawrence E. Armstrong “Performing In Extreme Environments”.

He has an EXCELLENT article about acclimatization and loss of here:

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/heataccl/heataccl.html

(Which should be mandatory reading for all hot yoga studio owners, hot yoga teachers and all new students! It is a bit technical but well worth reading.)

🙂

Robert

outward1
    Participant

Hi Feenix,
    (Warning, long post.)
    Here’s my two krona (do they have a saying like that in Scandinavia?). I encourage you to take a week off every 6 months or so. It really gives your body a rest. I notice our students who take time off for vacations and return are very worried about how horrible they are going to feel and how tight they will be in their first class back. I regularly witness that the opposite is true. Aside from the issues that arise from drinking too many Margaritas or too many glasses of wine on vacation, they find many surprises in their practice. Oftentimes, postures will be more “open”, their hamstrings were less tight, their backbends deeper. I joke that it’s really bad for business, they MUST come every day or they will lose it ALL ;).

I see two factors creating a “better” class at play. One, their body enjoyed the rest and the de-stressing that usually occurs during vacation. Two, they have a limited expectation of their performance during their first class back. Those factors ease the body back in and really help facilitate a more comfortable class.

I am a pitta dosha (pretty much all the way) and I struggled through my first three years of classes really suffering from the heat. I always had to take a knee and rest during class. I always saw my fuschia colored face staring back at me the mirror screaming for help. I tell you that because the heat was never easy for me and truth be told I’d rather practice in a cool room, but it’s not the same yoga. I digress, to make a point. I noticed no perceptible difference in readjusting to the heat after coming back from a break or vacation. I have, however, learned to assess how I am feeling and am able to throttle back a class when I start to feel overwhelmed. That’s what has worked for me.

I read so many posts on this forum re. how often to practice, 100 day challenge, 750 day challenges with doubles on Tuesdays, triples on Thursdays. The best advice I can give is…Find out what works best for you. I knew when I started 11-12 years ago that I needed to do this for the long haul. I know this about myself, if I don’t have some sort of commitment, schedule or rhythm I will lose interest and will quit altogether. Many of my cohorts in the studio practiced singles everyday of the week and doubles often. I felt a little less like a “yogi”. A lot of them have stopped practicing yoga altogether. I let myself feel second tier, but I knew I had to prevent burnout so I stayed with my own pace. When I started yoga I set a schedule of 5x a week for two months (to change your body and your life), ended up keeping that schedule for 6 months. It did change my body and my life and I quit my job, traveled overseas and took 6 classes in a year (yes, you read that correctly). After that my first 3 years, 5-6 days a week. I maybe took 3-4 days off a couple of times a year. I would go on vacation and not practice yoga, unless I felt really compelled. I did teacher training for 2 months, practiced 2x a day Sundays off for 8 or 9? weeks. Finished training, practiced once a week. Returned to practicing 5 days a week. When I opened my yoga studio, I was lucky to get in one class a week for myself for the 1st year. Now, I practice 2-3x a week on a good week.

I have some students who practice 2-3 times a month and have done so for 8 years now. That time line would not work for me. I have students that come to the studio finishing up a 100 day challenge from other studios, saying they are committed to keeping a regular practice and I never see them again. We’re all the same, but also wired a bit differently.

Again, play with your schedule, find out what works best for you. Nothing is permanent. There is no magic number that you hit and the birds sing and the bells ring that will grant you permanent health and happiness and make all classes easy from there. When you hit Full Camel there is no permanent enlightenment or higher power…just you in a different shape, smiling. It is a wonderful path with just you as your traveling partner, that can be both joyous and annoying.

Hopefully, I haven’t gone too far off base with my response. My wish is to share my story with you in order to encourage you to find the pattern, the rhythm, the commitment that works for you. I DO want to hear how you work it all out.:)
    Warmly,
    Outward1

Robert Scanlon (Webmaster)
    Forum Owner

I encourage you to take a week off every 6 months or so. It really gives your body a rest. I notice our students who take time off for vacations and return are very worried about how horrible they are going to feel and how tight they will be in their first class back. I regularly witness that the opposite is true. Aside from the issues that arise from drinking too many Margaritas or too many glasses of wine on vacation, they find many surprises in their practice. Oftentimes, postures will be more “open”, their hamstrings were less tight, their backbends deeper. I joke that it’s really bad for business, they MUST come every day or they will lose it ALL

Yes I forgot to mention that too – tnx! Gabrielle & I used to discuss how we could “force” students to take a short break as it is so beneficial for so many reasons.

Also I’m a big fan of Tony Schwartz who says that high-performance athletes train as much for fast recovery as they do for performance. That’s why I personally am not in favor of “continuous 30, 60, 90 etc challenges” as often they have no built-in recovery (especially if no days off are “allowed” and “make-it-up” doubles are encouraged).

As Outward1 says, your yoga is exactly that – “your yoga”. I totally agree – my own schedule has moved around amazingly over the last nearly 10 years. But nothing else has ever worked as well as hot yoga, so even if I can only manage one class sometimes …

And yes … let us know progress and your journey!

Namaste,

Robert

jackscott1
    Participant

sounds like a good theory… the only concern I would have would be the body getting used to the heat over and over. It only takes about 3-5 days to loose that ability in our bodies and about 10 days- two weeks to be fully back in the swing. A lot happens to your body during that process that may put unneeded stress on it. If you want to follow this approach I would still hit the hot room once every couple of days (even if it’s for one set or just to rest in the heat)

Yeah but I never thought it takes about 3-5 days. Now I know then I have to take your advice. Thank you so much for that.

jackscott

<Link removed by moderator>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top