30 Day Challenge Difficulties

30 Day Challenge Difficulties2009-02-08T21:40:23+00:00
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle and anyone who has gone through this before,

I’m on Day 19 of my first 30-day challenge. I’m doing it on my own and with not a lot of teacher encouragement, which is fine. I don’t necessarily need that but I do need some advice. I am at a point where my hips, lower back and quads are tight as a drum. Poses that used to be super easy, i.e. fixed firm pose and camel are now really hurting. Also, my left hip is so sore that I had a hard time sleeping on it last night. Is this a matter of diet, i.e. needing certain nutrients or is this just something I need to muscle/breathe through? Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what would you suggest or what did you go through?

Thanks,
    Mary

LoveTheHeat
    Participant

Congratulations on day 19!

Well, yes I just finished a challenge and the same thing happened to me. I could always do Standing Head to Knee and then all of a sudden, could not longer hook my webbed interlaced hands under my foot.

I think it’s just all the work you;re doing on your body.

I took a full body massage once a week. Another 30-day challenger took to seeing his chiropractor 2x per week.

And, might I add, I took the occasional aspirin in the evenings.

Enjoy the rest of your challenge, good luck, feel better, have a good practice.

Gabi
    Participant

Congratulations! I did a 60 last year and did go through some ups and downs. I think allowing yourself to back off on the postures a bit for a few days as needed can be so helpful. And concentrate on the relaxing of the appropriate muscles!

I do agree that if you can do some massage/chiropractic it will be lovely. You can totally do this, just ease up and relax as needed. There is no requirement that you push to your limit every day ;~), Gabi

mtcat
    Participant

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Tor what’s it’s worth, I have eased off of some postures and I’m hoping they will come back to me soon. I’m patient. I’m really enjoying the process and may just plow through to 60 days as well. The chiro/massage sounds really good right about now on Day 21!

Cheers and thanks!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello everyone

Congratulations on your challenge. I know these challenges become an important commitment to all that attempt them.

While I do warmly encourage you to do what you want to do I would like to offer an opinion that may even seem a bit controversial.

Here is a list of some possible things you can do for recovery:
    ** Take an epsom salt bath
    ** Meditate
    ** Massage and many other things!!!!
    ** and the biggie (which for me is a no-brainer if you are experiencing the relevant signs): TAKE A DAY OFF

What you need to do is learn proper recovery skills. Recovery is a crucial part of any exercise program. It seems to me that MANY people are having difficulties in their physical regime by not taking a day off per week. These 30 day challenges are fairly new. Bikram first had 60 day challenges and they always incorporated 1 day off per week. Now however that seems to have been thrown aside.

From a commercial standpoint, they are not good for business for many reasons. The most important thing to be aware of is that for some a short term challenge is well, a challenge. 😉 Beyond this finite commitment you have to have what you REALLY need and that is the stamina, the fortitude and the commitment to have a regular and frequent practice — one that goes beyond 30 or 60 days. One where the reward is the yoga itself, not the t shirt, the public accolades, not the name on the wall, just the yoga and what it means to you. Many people simply don’t come back to a regular practice once their challenge is finished with. With a studio in a smallish resort town we always geared our promotions and policy toward building our business. You may think that is a no-brainer, but a friend of mine owns a studio in a city with 5 million inhabitants. They have more new people in a week than they know what to do with. Almost 200 newbies. Too many to even enter them into the computer. They don’t care if people come back or not. They don’t even measure (or even need to measure) if people continue after finishing a challenge. They are too busy just coping.

Yes, it is possible to do 30, 60 or many more yoga classes in a row without a day off. But doing ANY amount without paying due care and attention, without listening to your body when it is screaming out for some rest, well, that doesn’t make sense to me.

What your yoga practice is supposed to do is develop and finesse your intuitive skills, by paying attention, by being the observer. So if what you are observing is a tightening up of your body, and a whole lot less ease (aka you notice that you are struggling and are even in pain) then surely your yoga would be to observe that and take rest.

I have given an idea elsewhere in the forum that I have used which works for many and that is, if you insist on continuing to work beyond what appears to be a reasonable physical limit (where your body tightens up and resists your asana) then go to class as early as you can one morning, and then late as you can the next night. At least then you will be satisfying your daily commitment in your personal challenge, AND getting what FEELS like 2 whole days off. Then try to rest at least one of those days.

It may even be advisable to check into some other aspects of your health.
    For example have you had a recent blood test? Is your blood showing all its markers within normal range. Have you checked your Vitamin B levels, your Iron levels, what about Potassium and Magnesium (for starters). Is your diet sufficient during this potentially physically and mentally stressful time? Is there enough protein in your diet, or raw vegetables or sprouts or whatever else does it for you! Are you getting enough rest? :cheese:

PS since I started writing this response Gabi has posted and says to relax! I think she is right. It does sound a little as though you could be trying so hard to do this that your effort/surrender equation is a little weighted on the effort side.

What I can also add is that somehow it is the HARDEST thing to do to NOT do your best (aka go to your limit WITHOUT struggle) in your class. This is what your practice is about and it is hard to pull back from there and still feel that immense satisfaction. There is a fine line between backing off and not pushing to your limit every day and listening to your body. Personally I find it hard not to work hard :cheese: if you know what I mean. Recovery for me is the key.

In summary, I am not trying to dissuade you from a challenge, I am underlining the need for recovery. I for example might approach it like this: start my 30 day challenge with the intention of doing at least 6 days per week. On the 7th day I would listen to my body and decide at that point whether it was a recovery day I needed or whether I felt physically like going. I know it is possible. I used to go 8 times a week when I started

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

mtcat
    Participant

Thank you Gabrielle! Since this is all so new for me, I have yet to really hear and understand that little voice inside that says, “Take it EASY!”. I’m so eager to please my teachers and to see results that it’s sometimes hard to discern good pain from bad or sleepiness from genuine fatigue. I think deep down, too, I just don’t want to let myself down. This is a challenge that I’m doing on my own and I’m really proud of myself for making it 22 days so far but I’m certainly losing steam and would like to make this a joyful process that lasts me a lifetime.

So thank you, again, for your words. And as for 8 times a week, wow! I’m happy I’m making to even ONE class in a day!

Peace,
    Mary

calbred
    Participant

When I first started my practice about 10 years ago it was suggested to do 90 days straight. Thats what I did, and just kept going. I think I may have done more than a year straight at one point. Only now after having my 1st and only baby at 41 do I not practice 7 days a week. I think the key is to not put too much pressure on yourself. View it as a daily reward. Unless your very underweight you don’t need to worry too much about the food thing, other than not eating too soon before class. Remember, allot of the time its psychological. Constantly remind yourself how strong you are as you practice. Loose any hysteria. It really makes a difference.

mtcat
    Participant

Thanks calbred. Knowing other people’s stories is really helpful and yours is really inspiring considering you went a year straight. I could see myself doing that since I have definitely started seeing it as a daily reward. And the fact that you have practiced so long and have had a baby at 41 is amazing! I’m 31 now and just starting my practice. I can’t wait until I can say I’ve been practicing yoga for 10 years!

bonmar
    Participant

Wow, what a fascinating conversation! Gabrielle stressing not to push too hard and strongly suggesting to take a day off each week, and then right underneath that someone who has done a year straight! Simply amazing – two sides of the coin, so to speak.

Definitely food for thought…

I hadn’t had any trouble when I was at Day 25 on my last challenge and would have kept happily going, had my studio not closed and my car not died… and I don’t remember once thinking I needed a day off or my muscles getting tighter and tighter – but, of course, we are all so different, with many outside influences and changes in our lives – who knows what might have happened on Day 30, but I’m eager to try another challenge.

To me it just takes the everyday yoga up a notch, makes it more fun, more exciting – who knows what might happen?

I do appreciate what Gabrielle said from a business perspective, though, about people packing it in after the challenge ends. The same thing happens to some people when they train for our Sun Run in April -we have almost 60,000 people participate and then that’s it for a lot of them. They don’t run again maybe until the next year.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Bonnie

Me emphasizing not pushing too hard doesn’t mean you can’t do 30 days straight or even 3 years straight. On the contrary. My answer is about paying attention and not ignoring what your body is telling you. It is about having recovery skills. If you can recover every day then power to you!!!!

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Pete02ob
    Participant

congratulations of your day 19! I tried the challenge the before but failed in
    day 10! and thanks for Gabrielle advice perhaps I was forcing myself too hard.
    May be I tried to relax my self a bit.

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top