30 day challenge – no rest days

30 day challenge – no rest days2008-04-04T20:10:44+00:00
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m interested to hear what others have to say on this. I’ve just started a 30-day challenge. Now, it seems that in other activities like running, cycling, weights, etc. that one or more rest days a week are crucial but here I am going 30 days straight. Is it that Bikram yoga is just so different that the rest day rule doesn’t apply?

hannahjustbreathe
    Participant

Hi Josie,

I think part of the reason why you’re encouraged to take “rest” days from running, weight lifting, etc., is because those are activities that actually break down your muscles, which means your body needs a chance to rebuild and recover. Any impact sport is incredibly strenuous on your joints, bones, and muscles. Bikram yoga, on the other hand, is all about rebuilding your muscles and your body’s many, many systems during each class, meaning you don’t need a day off. Your daily class serves as your body’s chance to recover, if that makes sense.

In fact, once I was in the last 10 days of my 30-day challenge, I didn’t even want to a day off. I felt amazing. If I had a rocky class one day, then the next day’s class would be my chance to rebuild my practice and to prepare for the next class.

Now that I’m done my challenge and back to my four/five classes a week, I’ve noticed my practice just isn’t the same as it was during those 30 days. It takes me longer to get into what I like to call “my yoga frame of mind,” and I have to make much more of a concentrated effort to remind myself to breathe, to go slowly, to be mindful. When you’re going to class every single day, your practice becomes more and more refined, meaning you can get to your meditative state easier and faster and gain greater benefits, physically, spiritually, mentally, etc.

If I had the time, I would most certainly be at class each and every day. In my opinion, “rest days” from Bikram actually make it harder–not easier!–to maintain a strong, consistent practice.

Hannah

bonnie
    Participant

I wonder that too, as I want to start the challenge very soon.

I’m up to six days per week now, and I feel generally (pleasantly) worn out most days. It’s different than the pain and undeniable need for recovery I’ve experienced after a few days of running or a day of intense resistance training. Still, after a rest day my practice usually seems to improve when I come back to it.

Though I absolutely want to take the challenge, I do wonder if practice every single day mitigates any of the benefits… (certainly cultivating the determination and discipline needed is a benefit in itself). I’d love to hear what those who have done it have to say.

bonnie
    Participant

Thanks Hannah,

I totally agree that Bikram Yoga doesn’t do the kind of damage that other forms of athletics do, and doesn’t require the same kind of recovery. And while I said that I feel that my practice improves after a rest, I have stellar and not-so-stellar days during that 6-day streak too… it’s an iffy proposition to attribute those ups and downs to things, I guess…

When forced to take 2 or 3 or more days off, though, I have some awful classes until I feel I’m ‘back on the horse’…

edgehH20
    Participant

You can find my post under Motivation & Inspiration, 30-day challenge. Though my comment about a rest day is here, as I have just completed the 30-day challenge (yeah!)

I am one to like rest days, typically going 3 or 4 days in a row and then doff for 1 or 2 says then I return with glee. But somehow it does not seem to apply to the 30-days which is actually trying to accomplish something else all together. So just keep going.

If this were a marathon, you’d have to complete the full 26.2 miles to do any relection. No half-marathon or 10 miler. The entire twenty-six miles and two-hundred yards. Only then can you offer your own experience and summary.

Good luck, I know you will go every day, just keep up with the laundry and put a few drops of vinegar in with the sweaty Bikram shorts/tops! :coolsmile:

josie_k
    Participant

Thanks! I’ve been looking forward to doing this challenge and so far it feels great.

hannahjustbreathe
    Participant

Funny Edge should bring up the idea of a marathon…

During my challenge, when I was at about day 13 or 14 and perilously close to giving up from exhaustion and frustration, one of my teacher’s offered this consolation: “Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to pace yourself and push yourself at the same time and, above all, be encouraging of yourself.”

Such simple yet wonderful advice!

beauxx
    Participant

Hello fellow yoga practitioners. Thought I would add the male pesrspective regarding the topic of doing the 30 day challenge. I ended up doing 33 days, having gone to 3 classes in a row before deciding on doing the challenge which inadvertently ended on March 30 08 which was the same day I joined the local Bikram studio 2 years previous!–kind of meaningful considering how I felt about the Bikram experience after my first class!

I had been going 3 days a week steadily, sometimes 4–rarely 5 and to bump it up to everyday for the challenge was a quantum leap for me in terms of time commitment, whether I could do it, the fact that I had to do it after committing!-our names were on a board in the foyer/peer pressure and working through knee pain, toe pain, a sweat rash–general feelings of weirdness,mild nausea, some insomnia and at times feeling bored(?) with the same workout. Those taking teacher training go 6 days with at least one day off per week. I too was raised with the school of thought that the body needs time off to recharge from strenous exercise.During the first 15 classes I comforted myself at times saying I could do a double if I had to take a day off–I did not though but will at some point.I also experienced moments of eureka like thoughts/feelings regarding how much power the mind has over us and achieved increased contol in this regard–that I can do this and or the need to surrender/let go to the practice/living, the sense of flowing with the class–like it is one continuous focus/movement from start to finish- from the breathing through the postures and savasana and to have increased confidence that the body is capable of much more than the mind allows it.

I also got to get to know the other challengers better and develop a bond. After the challenge my days felt empty somewhat, I took 2 days off and started up again, back to 3-4 times per week. Overall I sense I am smoother, more efficient, greater strenth and focus in my practice following the 33 days.I do not see myself going 6 days per week and also sense that Bikram is a bit of an addiction–the physical afterglow and all. I will mix in another activity–cross train so to speak to create balance.

Hope this is not too long winded–I enjoyed reading Hannahjustbreathe’s 30 day blog–which I found supportive during my challenge. There are many other facets of the challenge I have not touched on–another time.

Lastly, I am very grateful to have Bikram Yoga in my life and could not imagine living without it–also grateful that I am able to participate and not disabled or other condition preventing me from practicing. Amen.

Namaste

BL

Lau
    Participant

I completed my first 60 day challenge in Jan of this year and am starting my first 90 day challenge next month. I also work in cardio and weight training. At first, I was concerned about not taking a day off, but toward the end of the challenge, I felt so much better and my other activities improved (cardio, especially) that I think it’s perfectly safe. Enjoy your 30 day challenge! You’ll love it!

beauxx
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle,

Alot of comments posted regarding the 30 day challenge–I completed my first one in March of this year and it was challenging and worthwile on many levels. I had to work through knee and big toe pain–certain postures exacerbated this but I carried on with determination(English bulldog?)and some feeling sorry for myself!!

A question that comes to mind as an afterthought is what constitutes balance in our lives–physically/enotionally/mentally/time/activity wise and so forth. Bikram yoga has been jokingly called crack yoga for its addictive qualities–and I wonder about practitioners who attend for months in a row and maybe also do some other form of exercise on top, whether this will produce health problems later in life such as joint laxity or other and if the need to exercise becomes a substitute for trying to maintain a balance or avoid any angst in our lives.

I find it difficult to work and raise a family and deal with all the errands and other to attend BIkram everyday for example–I go 3-4 times per week fairly religiously but at times find this hard to plan for–during the challenge I had to take off a few days work for spring break for my son and to focus on the challenge and all. I am strongly pulled to my Bikram yoga practice and happy to have it in my life.

Thanx again for this great forum and the global nature of the internet!

Namaste,

BL

josie_k
    Participant

Well, today is the last day of my 30-day challenge.

There were good days and not as good days…. but mostly good. I had a love/hate relationship with many of the poses. In one class standing bow would be great and the next I could barely balance on one leg. A lesson learned (and re-learned) to accept where the body is in the moment regardless of where it may have been the day before.

I will miss the daily practice but also look forward to a more balanced life again.

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Congratulations Josie :cheese:

You made it!

Funny thing: in upsetting your life balance temporarily you have paradoxically created more balance! Wonderful lessons learned about the body and mind. There is no going back.

Keep enjoying your journey

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hello BL

Such amazingly interesting thoughts to ponder!

You are right! Perhaps there is a possibility that something untoward could come from doing it. But I think that it would have to be coming from the wrong place. If alignment principles are strongly adhered to; if your connection in the mirror is meditative and not narcissistic; if the focus stays on ‘being your best’ rather than doing at any given moment then I am sure that you can only be doing good.

Achieving balance is part of our core intention. Being ‘addicted’ is different to making it a lifestyle choice. There is a different energy about addiction. I was talking to Robert about it last night. We spoke of those times (particularly at the beginning of practice) when students can feel guilty that they didn’t make it to class. Just like knowing that the days you feel least like going are the days that you should absolutely go, I think that if you have overwhelming guilt-ridden feelings that you should be there, then you should probably take a little time off to gain a clearer perspective on your (one’s) life.

This yoga is FANTASTIC because it gives you back so much more than you put in. But it is not your ‘life’. Doing it as many times as you manage (however many times per week that is) makes you so much more available to your other commitments in so many ways. As such I feel we get balance to prioritize and approach all our activities with equanimity and peace!

Thanks so much for sharing that. So important to ‘get’ that one methinks. 😉

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

blue
    Participant

such interesting thoughts!! thank you all for putting your input in. I practiced 6x week and too struggled w/ the idea of no rest days and really what the diff and benefit would be to going 7x? so…. I asked! my yoga teacher told me the classic only I know what my body needs and to look inside myself for the amount of practice I need. He also said however that 7x vs. 6x are worlds apart because when you do 6x your body stops every 7th day. You have to keep starting over (though you improve don’t get me wrong). When you go 7x your body is put into a cycle that does not stop. All very cool.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top