30 Day Challenge and a beginner

30 Day Challenge and a beginner2010-07-02T13:45:28+00:00
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am brand new to Bikram. I started with the 30 day challenge, I’m seeing & feeling the benefits. However, since day 23 (3 days ago) I am really struggling after full locust pose on-wards.I am suffering with sore knees and a stiff mid-lower back.
    I don’t feel I actually ‘did’ or ‘strained’ anything but this far in, have others felt this change in your body?….or am I just gettinig old!!!
    Also, I have noticed it takes me quite a while to get to sleep but I’m totally relaxed and mind clear…when I sleep, I sleep like a log!!!

Thanks

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Anna

Welcome to the forum!

This is where I ask you some questions to get some more information from you! 😉

Now then …
    >> Do you have any sense of any issues with your back or knees before Locust pose?
    >> Where on your knees is it hurting? Front, behind, sides? Both knees?
    >> Only the mid back? And when you say mid back do you mean adjacent to the ribs (chest area) or on the back below the ribs (above the hips)?
    >> Does this stiffness and soreness last for longer than class (say up til the next class)?

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Happy Beginner
    Participant

Hi Gabrielle,
    Thank you for your time 🙂

>> Do you have any sense of any issues with your back or knees before Locust pose?
    Not really, maybe from tree pose now I think of it (I can’t not hold my foot!)

>> Where on your knees is it hurting? Front, behind, sides? Both knees?
    Front around the Knee Cap and the creased area behind the knee on both knees.

>> Only the mid back? And when you say mid back do you mean adjacent to the ribs (chest area) or on the back below the ribs (above the hips)?
    Below the Ribs, above the Hips!

>> Does this stiffness and soreness last for longer than class (say up til the next class)?
    I have pretty much been stiff and achy since Wednesday! On a scale of 1 to 10, its a 3!

Gabrielle (The Hot Yoga Doctor)
    Forum Owner

Hi Anna

This will be short! I am shutting up shop for the night! But what occurs to me is that your core strength needs work. If there’s one pose in this series where you need your core strength it’s Locust double leg lift. Most of the others you can wing your way through if you don’t know how to activate the core. From what you’re saying it IS possible that your stiffness is due to this very common issue. Well that’s certainly true for your sore back.

As for sore knees: Can you tell me what happens when you “lock your knees”? Are you able to keep them locked for 30 or 60 seconds in the standing balancing poses? You know, some people think locking the knee is straightening the knee and kind of locking the position of the knees in a skeletal rather than muscular way! Is it possible at all that you need to further develop your ability to use your quadriceps muscles to fully lift your kneecaps? Just asking. Let me know. It’s possible you have that handled. But I had to ask. Let me know before we delve deeper.

Namaste
    Gabrielle 🙂

Happy Beginner
    Participant

HI Gabrielle,

This is one of the reasons I find this Bikram so interesting…….
    Having been in ‘stiff all over’ kind of pain since Tuesday, I went to class on Friday….
    Back still quite stiff and feeling tender…by the second back bend I was fine!
    Flew through the class no bother and have been fine ever since!!(including the knees!)

As for the above questions, I think I have the ‘Lock the Knee’ sussed. It is only in the last 10 days that I have been able to do the Locust double leg lift and my core is definitly in need of work so this explains it!!

Thanks for your time, you are a wealth of knowledge 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Title

Go to Top